Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Blemished Lambs

How easy it is to slip into habitual worship of the Lord - to let the daily worries and cares of this world steal that fire, that desire, that fervency for doing things HIS way. As I read Malachi, the Holy Spirit convicted my heart as He called for Israel to turn their cold, habitual-law abiding hearts back to Him. He accused them of promising the unblemished, first born lambs for sacrifice, but when sacrifice time came, they sacrificed their second best, their blemished lambs and were satisfied with their offerings. The Lord's response was offense, and well so. He gave them everything and they gave Him their second, third best and in doing so, well desired the judgement that awaited them.
How often I plan to give God the first fruits of my time and end up with that hurried 10 minute Bible reading and prayer time. I was satisfied with my offering because I was "busy" with the Lord's work and He "always understands". Yes, the Lord understands our physical responsibilities but that doesn't relinquish us from worshipping the Lord HIS way - giving Him the sacrifices that are worthy of Him. My heart was shamed as I realized that I, just like the Israelites of Malachi, was giving the Lord a blemished lamb. How can I do that? He has given me EVERYTHING! I praise the Lord for the working of the Holy Spirit, calling me back to a worship that is pleasing and acceptable to the Lord. I also praise Him for giving me the desire to look for other "blemished lambs" in my life, that I might present sacrifices to Him that are worthy and will cause no offense to my Savior!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You make me think about my priorities!